Twenty loose gelatin silver photos from ca. 20,5x25,5 cm (8x10 in) to ca. 18,5x24 cm (7 ¼ x 9 ¼ in). Seventeen photos with the studios’ credits (ink stamps on verso, or blind stamps/ stamps in negative on recto). One photo mounted on linen; one photo with three round holes made by a hole puncher on the upper margin; several photos with minor creases on the extremities; but overall a very good collection of strong interesting photos.
Interesting collection of large original photos showing the streets and businesses in Los Angeles's historic downtown and industrial districts in the 1920s. The photos, taken by local studios, allow us to read most storefront signs and some street signs; often feature automobiles and street car tracks; there are also several parking signs. The locations on most photos have been identified.
The collection includes eleven photos by Albert E. Cawood (eight with his ink stamps on verso, another three – of the same size, the paper of the same thickness and quality). Cawood’s photos show the following buildings and businesses: “Norton Bros. & Morris” (751-757 South Los Angeles St.); “Armacost & Royston Inc.” (723 Wall St.); Carl Leonardt Building (1548 S. Central Ave., built in 1908; then with the sign of “The Natl. Confection Service Co.”); a corner of San Pedro and the 5th Streets (with the street car rails in the foreground and the building of “Alda Hotel and Apartments” on the left); “Los Angeles Grain & Feed Co.” and “The Featherstone Company” (905-911 Mateo St.); “National Meter Co.” and “Neilan, Schumacher & Co.”; “Rockford Pacific Furniture Corporation” (1620-24 East 7th St.); “Baker Electric Co.” (apparently, at the corner of East 12th and Los Angeles Streets); “Yates-American Machine Company” (1500 Santa Fe Ave.). Two photos show the building occupied by “Webster Brinkley Co.” and other businesses (303-309 East 3rd St.) – with and without a cart of “Los Angeles Gas and Electric Corporation” leaning onto a parking sign.
Seven photos were taken by the Huddleston Photo Co. (ink stamps on verso or blind stamps/stamps in negative on recto; one photo bears the additional stamp of “J.W. Lewis Co, Realtors, 435-437 So. San Pedro St., corner of Winston” on verso). The photos show the buildings of “Westing House Electric Supply Co.” (East 2nd St. & Graey Street); “Simonds Saw & Knife Agency” (416 East 3rd St.); “Studio Press Printing Co.” and “Stewart Electric Co.” (556-558 South San Pedro St.); “American Hotel” (Traction Ave. & South Hewitt St.); Weber Showcase & Fixture Co. (316-330 South Lost Angeles St.); “Southern California Wrecking Co.” (East 6th St. & San Pedro St.); and “Miller Saw Trimmer Co.” and “Hi-grade Tent & Duck Co.” (apparently, 300 East 4th St.).
A photo with the ink stamp of “Press Photo Service,” 74 5 ¼ So. Alvarado St.” shows “Fourth Street, Metropolitan Warehouse & Industrial District” looking north (the premises of “Walker Grocery Co.,” “Link-Belt Meese & Gottfried Co.,” “Southwest Lithograph Co.” and a building under construction). A photo with the ink stamp of “Graham Photo Co., Suite 514-515, Western Mutual Life Bldg.” shows the new building of the “Electric Corporation” (1050 Santee Street), built in 1924. Overall an important visual source on the history of Los Angeles' architecture and urban development in the 1920s.